Anchovy Rehab Marinade
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Sauces
Recipe courtesy of John Gutekanst, Avalanche Pizza in Athens, Ohio
- 20 anchovies from the can
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Zest from a ¼ lemon
- 7 tablespoons of excellent extra virgin olive oil
- Place the garlic, oregano, zest and extra virgin olive oil in a small container, leaving room for the 20 anchovies.
- Place the 20 anchovies into a non-reactive bowl.
- Turn the faucet water on a slow stream of lukewarm that is between 70 to 80 F.
- Slowly let the water slide down the side of the bowl to just cover the anchovies.
- Let sit for 5 to 10 seconds then drain the water. Repeat this process five to eight times being sure not to “cook” the anchovies or let them fall apart. Bring the water temperature down (colder) as you go.
- When the anchovies feel plumper and more pliable, taste for salt content. If it is acceptable, place anchovies on a clean kitchen towel and cover with a paper towel to soak up more salt and liquid.
- Repeat with another towel then place the anchovies in the garlic-oregano marinade.
- Cover and let sit on a counter for 24 hours before refrigerating.
Return to Makeline Marinades