Bacon Ahogadas Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 3½ cups of your proprietary pizza sauce
- 3 ounces red onion
- 1 ounce roasted garlic
- 2½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons oil (canola or EVOO)
- 5 ounces of precooked, shaved bacon bits for the pizzeria
- 2 tablespoons chopped, pickled jalapeños (add more to taste for heat index)
- In a bowl, toss the onion, oil, bacon, jalapeño and cumin with two tablespoons water.
- Place on a pizza pan (pizza oven cooking) or in a sauté pan (for the stovetop).
- Run through a conveyor or put in a deck oven at 475 F for six to eight minutes until the onions are wilted.
- Make sure the bacon does not burn and toss the ingredients as much as possible to integrate flavors. (Or in a sauté pan cook on medium high until flavor are integrated also.)
- Remove to cool.
- When cool, add the pizza sauce and the onion/bacon mixture and pulse on high with a stick or stand blender.
- This should yield 4 cups of sauce.
- You may also add same amounts of mayonnaise and sour cream for a bodacious dipping sauce.
- Chef's Note: Try this on a pizza with cheddar or Manchego, black beans, green peppers and chicken.