Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauces
Serves 1 cup (Scale up in direct proportion)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1¼ cups milk, heated
- Salt Freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don’t let it brown — about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens.
- Bring it to a
- boil. Add salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat.
- To cool this sauce for later use, cover it with wax paper or pour a film of milk over it to prevent a skin from forming.