Mushroom Pizza Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauces
Courtesy of Michel Arvblom, World Pizza Champions, Sweden “To be unique you have to be different than everyone else. Instead of putting seasonal toppings on the pizza, think about a pizza sauce base using seasonal ingredients. This will make people and the media talk about your pizza shop.” — Michel Arvblom
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Sauté mushrooms in butter and oil for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add red wine and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add beef broth and simmer to reduce a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour and cold water and whisk until smooth.
- Stir into the mushrooms until well blended.
- Season, to taste, and simmer for about 1 minute, until thickened. If too thick, add a little more broth.
- Add parsley and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Makes about 1½ to 2 cups.
- When done cooking, use a blender to make the sauce smooth for a perfect pizza sauce.