Pasquale's Three-Meat Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound pepperoni, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ¾ pound ground chuck
- ½ pound Fontanini Mama Ranne meatballs, sliced
- 8 cups tomato puree or all-purpose ground tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon basil, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the pepperoni.
- Saute until the pepperoni starts to release some of its fat (about 2 minutes).
- Add the garlic and onion and saute for 1 minute more.
- Turn the heat to high. Add the wine.
- Cook off the wine (about 2 minutes).
- Add the ground chuck and Italian sausage.
- Cook and stir until the chuck and the sausage is cooked through (no pink showing on either meat).
- Add the tomatoes, oregano and basil.
- Turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer gently for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- The sauce can be used at once or cooled down and refrigerated.
- Recipe can be scaled up in direct proportion.