Guide to the 2021 Best Pizza Lists
Did your pizzeria make one of this year’s top pizza lists?
Being thrust into the national spotlight can be a game changer for an independent pizzeria. We scoured the Internet in search of this year’s leading national best pizza lists. Check out who drew national attention for their pies. Each “best pizza” list is based on their own criteria using expert panels, audience votes, reviews or other factors. Here are the biggest pizza lists of 2021:
Food&Wine picks Best Pizza States and Best Pizza in Every State
New Jersey tops the nation for pizza. Pizza Today’s 2021 Pizzeria of the Year Razza was mentioned first and resides in Jersey City.
Second was Connecticut sighting New Haven hot spots, followed by New York in third. Illinois and Michigan, respectively, rounded out the top five pizza states.
Gayot ranked its Top 10 Pizza in America
A few of its Top 10 include:
- Capo’s, San Francisco, CA
- Cart-Driver, Denver, CO
- Double Zero, Atlanta, GA
- Ken’s Artisan Pizza, Portland, OR
- Stella Barra Pizzeria, Santa Monica, CA
- Tavola, New York, NY
Bloomberg declares the Best Pizza City in America
Bloomberg turned to Modernist Pizza authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya to chime in on which city is America’s best pizza city. Portland, Oregon, received the top honor. Check out how they came to that conclusion.
Thrillist identifies “28 American Pizza Shops You Need to Try
Thrillist takes a look at 28 pizzerias that are on fire right now. Topping list includes:
- Apizza Scholl’s, Portland, OR
- DiFara Pizza, New York, NY
- Eleventh Street Pizza, Miami, FL
- Emilia’s, Berkeley, CA
- Four + Water Pizzeria, San Francisco, CA
- Good Pie, Las Vegas, NV
- L’Industrie, Brooklyn, NY
BigSeven Travel picks its Top 50 Pizzas
The travel platform selects its annual list of 50 Best Pizzas in the United States. There are several newcomers and surprises on this list. The top five includes:
- Tony’s Pizza Napoletana, San Francisco, CA
- Ops, Brooklyn, NY
- Pizza Delicious, New Orleans, LA
- Bricco Coal Fired Pizza, Westmont, NJ
- Pequod’s Pizza, Chicago, IL
Best Pizza in Every State, according to Yelp
Eat This, Not That! counts down Yelp’s best pizzas in every state. Yelp used an algorithm that sorted and filtered each state’s pizza offerings to declare a winner.
Let’s look at a few often-overlooked pizza states:
- Alabama: The Pepperoni Pizza at Joe’s Pizza & Pasta, Mobile
- Idaho: The Far East Pizza at Embers by the Lake, Hauser
- Minnesota: Flavor Explosion at Mama’s Pizza, St. Paul
- Oklahoma: Misunderstood Middle Sister Pie at Stone Sisters Pizza Bar, Oklahoma City
- Virginia: Diavolo Rosso at Pizzeria Bella Vista by Signorelli, Chesapeake
Pizza Today names 2021 Pizzeria of the Year
We saved the best for last. Each year, Pizza Today Magazine selects one pizzeria in the U.S. that shines supreme. See why this year’s pizzeria industry honor goes to Razza in Jersey City, NJ.