Vegetable Quick Pickling
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 pound fresh vegetables, such as cauliflower, cucumbers, jalapeños, carrots
- 2 sprigs fresh herbs, such as thyme or dill
- 1 to 2 teaspoons whole spices, such as black peppercorns or mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs or ground spices
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed or sliced
- 1 cup vinegar, such as white or apple cider
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt or 2 teaspoons pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional)
- Cut up all of your vegetables.
- Pack them tightly in the mason jars, leaving about a ½ inch of space from the top.
- Add 1 sprig of herbs, 1 teaspoon whole spices and 2 garlic cloves to each jar.
- Boil together vinegar, water, salt and sugar (if using).
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, pour into jars.
- Seal the jars with the lids and cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 48 hours, keep for up to 2 months.