Get the Country Ham & Apple Pizza Recipe
The salty and savory ham is a perfect complement to the sweet and tart apples on pizza. Grenny Smith Apples are great for this recipe their crisp tart flavor. Goat cheese and mozzarella are the ying yang of creamy and pungent flavor.
What is Country Ham?
According to a previous article in Pizza Today Ham It Up!, “Only Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia produce country hams. Country ham must possess a four-percent salt content, lose 18 percent of its original weight and age a minimum of 61 days.”
Now try the recipe:
- 1 14-ounce pizza dough ball
- 1 ounce goat cheese (crumbled)
- 2 ounces shredded whole milk mozzarella
- ½ Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced and bathed in salted water
- Sea salt, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 5 slices country ham
- Stretch dough to desired diameter.
- Evenly spread olive oil.
- Top pizza with half of the mozzarella.
- Distribute country ham.
- Then top with apple slices.
- Add the remainder of the mozzarella.
- Sprinkle crumbled goat cheese.
- Immediately after removing pizza from the oven, drizzle extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the top.