Try this Detroit-Style Pizza Dough Recipe
Ready to menu one of the hottest trends in pizza. Make this Detroit-Style Pizza Dough Recipe that includes a poolish pre-ferment, complete Detroit-style dough formula.
Poolish for Detroit-Style Pizza Dough
Author: John Arena
Recipe type: Dough
- High Protein Pizza Flour (72 F) 1,000 grams (2.2 pounds)
- Water (65 F) 1,000 grams (2.2 pounds)
- Instant Dry Yeast 1 gram
- Mix by hand in plastic tub with ample room for expansion.
- Cover and set poolish out at room temperature for 18 hours.
Detroit-Style Pizza Dough
Author: John Arena
Recipe type: Pizza Dough
*Note: Combined total of flour, water and poolish will bring hydration to 67 percent.
- High Protein Pizza Flour (72 F) 9,000 grams (19.85 pounds)
- Water (58 F) 5,700 grams (12.56 pounds)
- Poolish (72 F) 2,000 grams (4.4 pounds) -- RECIPE ABOVE
- Salt 250 grams (8.8 ounces)
- Olive Oil 200 grams (7 ounces)
- Instant Dry Yeast 50 grams (1.75 ounces)
- After poolish has risen at room temperature for 18 hours, combine it with water in mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly.
- Add flour, salt and yeast. Mix for 4 minutes at slow speed.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while continuing to mix for 3 minutes.
- Increase speed of mixer to speed 2 and mix for 6 minutes or until dough has reached 78 F.
- Cover dough and allow to bench rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough and round and place in trays. Cover dough trays and place in refrigerator at 38 F for 24 hours.
- Dough should be removed from refrigerator 1 hour before placing in pans. Pans should be coated with softened butter or shortening. This will allow dough to adhere to the pan easily without over-working and de-gassing it.
- Place dough ball in the pan and gently press out slightly.
- Allow dough to sit in the pan for 30 minutes before completing final shaping to edge of the pan.
- Cover pans and allow dough to rise until airy.
- At this point dough can be used or placed back in the refrigerator.
- If you are placing back in the refrigerator be sure to take out dough 30 minutes in advance of using it.