As we get closer to the end of summer, the evenings will start to get cooler and it’s finally time to light a fire in the backyard. One of my favorite memories of late summer nights were these “packages” that were made of kielbasa or summer sausage, potatoes and corn wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked on the coals of a backyard fire. I took everything I love about that and topped this month’s pizza. Hope this brings back some great memories (or maybe provides the beginning of some new ones).
On Deck: The Whole Package Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizzas
- 8-10-ounce dough ball
- 6-8 pieces thinly sliced kielbasa
- 1 ear of fresh corn (roasted, grilled or boiled, then trimmed off the cob)
- 2-3 small potatoes (cooked, peeled and diced, then seasoned with salt and pepper)
- Green onion
- Your favorite BBQ or hot sauce
- Stretch a dough ball to your desired thickness.
- Top with mozzarella, then add the thinly sliced kielbasa.
- Scatter diced potato and corn.
- Bake the pizza at 550-600 F for roughly 8 minutes.
- Post-bake, top with a dotting of your favorite BBQ sauce and/or hot sauce and some green onion. I served this on a piece of foil for nostalgia, but that’s not necessary. However, details matter — and you are making this for people you love.
Chris Decker is managing partner at Metro Pizza in Las Vegas, NV. Instagram: @everythingbutanchovies