For the Meatballs:
Spicy Beef and Bacon Meatball Pizza-- MEATBALLS
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20 mix- meat to fat)
- 10 ounces of fatty thick bacon diced fine
- 1 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 egg
- 12, inch-long Calabrian chilies diced fine into 2 heaping tablespoons
- 9 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 5 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 6 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- Sauté the diced bacon until just partially cooked and leaching juice. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the red onion for 2 minutes until just transparent. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to accommodate the mix, Place the beef, bacon and all the other ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly with your gloved hands. (This is the best mixer.)
- When mixed, place two small dollops from different areas in the mix onto foil and place in a 400 F oven. Cook for long enough for a taste test. Adjust taste levels as needed for heat, saltiness etc.
- Place a sheet of parchment on a large sheet pan.
- Heat deck oven to 400 F.
- Ball up the mix into meatballs just larger than a golf ball and gently place on the parchment.
- Bake meatballs to your specifications. 7 to 8 minutes will yield medium rare meatballs at 124-126 F with a thermometer. 10 to 12 minutes will yield well-done meatballs. (Remember that the meatballs may cook too much on a pizza if you place at the beginning of the bake.)
For the Pizza:
Spicy Beef and Bacon Meatball Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- 19 ounces of your proprietary pizza dough or dough for a 14-inch pizza
- 4-5 ounces of your proprietary béchamel cream or Alfredo pizza sauce
- 1 big handful of fresh spinach. (2-3 ounces) to cover the 14-inch pizza
- 3 tablespoons shredded Asiago cheese
- 6-8 ounces proprietary mozzarella cheese blend
- 10 meatballs from above recipe, cut in half
- 1 Roma tomato cut into small dice
- 5 leaves of basil chopped in strips
- Create a 14-inch round with the pizza dough
- Place the béchamel cream sauce on the pizza followed by the spinach.
- Place the Asiago then the mozzarella cheese blend on the pizza.
- Place the meatball halves around the pizza.
- Place the pizza in a 500 F oven and bake for 12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese melted. Pay particular attention to the middle of the pizza for doneness because of the cream sauce may have made the middle soupy.
- Once the pizza is baked, top with the diced tomato and basil for color and flavor.