Fiddle Me This
A Fiddlehead is probably an ingredient that you have never heard of. The fronds of a young fern, fiddleheads are available in the spring. This is a vegetable and I prefer to bake or sauté them with a little salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil before adding them to pizza. If prepared properly they taste like grilled asparagus.
What balances this pizza is the combination of sweet and acidic candied lemons, as well as the salty Prosciutto di Parma. I decided to use this combination on a Pinsa style pizza. Pinsa has been gaining momentum in the U.S. for the last few years. It’s typically a combination of grains, such as soy, rice and wheat. The pizza is typically oval, crispy, light and very digestible. Pinsa can have an array of ingredients. Here is a combination that I am sure you have never had.
TONY GEMIGNANI is one of America’s most influential pizza makers. Instagram: @capopizza Photo: Tony Gemignani
- 1 10-12 ounce high-hydrated dough ball (my blend is 75 percent wheat flour, 10 percent rice flour, 10 percent soy flour and 5 percent spelt with a long fermentation)
- 7 ounces whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 10 thinly sliced candied Meyer lemons
- 12 fiddleheads (triple washed, cleaned, and baked thoroughly)
- 6-8 slices Prosciutto di Parma
- Liquid cane sugar
- Sea salt
- Fine black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Shaved Parmigiano
- Pan spray
- Clean your fiddleheads thoroughly.
- Place them on a half sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 525 F oven for 8 to 10 minutes until they are well roasted. Set aside.
- Place your thinly sliced lemons on a ½ sheet pan that is lightly coated.
- Drizzle with cane sugar and bake in a 425 F oven until slightly translucent. I don’t recommend blanching before you bake. Set aside.
- Carefully push dough out using your fingertips, dimpling the dough into an oval shape.
- Place mozzarella over the dough and place the pizza into a 550 F electric or gas oven.
- Halfway through, add the fiddleheads and candied lemons.
- Continue to bake the pizza until it is golden brown and crispy.
- Cut pizza into desired slices and add the Prosciutto and shaved Parmigiano. Enjoy.