We all know that one of the busiest pizza days all year is Halloween. But did you know you can drive killer sales all month long in October by promoting National Pizza Month? You should start planning now.
National Pizza Month Background
Pizza Today dubbed October as National Pizza Month in 1984. The U.S. Congress followed up with the official designation in 1987. Since then, pizzeria professionals and pizza fans alike have found fun and unique ways to celebrate America’s favorite food all month long. Yes, we celebrate pizza all year, but the designated month has opened an opportunity in public relations and marketing to showcase pizza and pizzerias.
Why promote National Pizza Month?
The pizzeria community is a strong and united industry that should be celebrated. Here are a few reasons why you should get involved with National Pizza Month:
- Amplifies your pizzeria’s craft and vision to a wider audience.
- Gives your business a sustained bump in sales all month.
- Adds more energy and excitement to your employee culture.
- Gives you more opportunities to engage with your pizza fans.
- Provides an occasion for you to collaborate with your local pizza community.
How can pizzerias participate in National Pizza Month?
You can go all in and make National Pizza Month huge. Or you can find small ways to make it fit into your existing marketing strategy.
We say, “go all in!” We’re going ALL IN too. This year, we’re revamped our National Pizza Month Pizzeria Operator Toolkit to help you make the most of the month-long food holiday. Explore some of the ways the Pizzeria Operator Toolkit can help you commemorate the month:
The Logo. Our Creative Director Josh Keown has created a swanky new National Pizza Month logo that you can use on your promotional materials. Think in-store displays, social media posts, ads, e-mails and all the inventive ways you uniquely celebrate at your pizzeria.
Graphics. We put together some fun graphics that you can customize and use in promotions or share in store and on social media.
Media Support. Find customizable media releases and pitches to send to your local and regional media outlets. We’re also sharing key tips and strategies to help you get that media exposures.
Marketing Ideas. We have an extensive list of ways to commemorate the month at your pizzerias. Pick one, pick five, go with several. Just reviewing the list will get your creative juices flowing and spark an original marketing idea that fits your brand.
Social Media Calendar. Let us help you drive your social campaign. We have created sample social calendars to help you schedule your posts.
Story Sharing. We will be sharing National Pizza Month stories from pizzerias all month long on PizzaToday.com and on social. We have a spot for you to share your story of how you are celebrating National Pizza Month in the Toolkit. We may feature you!
There is even more to the Pizzeria Operator Toolkit for you to discover by visiting pizzatoday.com/national-pizza-month-october-pizzeria-tool-kit/.
Set your National Pizza Month plan now.
Now is the time to get your National Pizza Month strategy in place. To help, here are a few low-cost to no-cost marketing ideas to get your wheels turning:
- Host a Press Event Month Kick Off (Invite local media, food writers, bloggers, etc. in for a free meal). Use your time with the media wisely to showcase your National Pizza Month plan and what makes your pizzeria standout. Give them a unique experience like a pizza-making class or dough making or tossing demo. Be memorable.
- Run a customer recipe promotion. Invite your patrons to create your next big hit! Have customers submit recipes for topping combinations, etc. Winner gets the pizza named after them on your menu or free pizza for a year or a $500 gift card, etc.
- Create a 31 Days of Pizza menu featuring a different specialty pizza or topping each day. Include customer and staff build-your-own favorites.
- Crown an Ultimate Pizza Fan by inviting customers to submit on social media why they should be the winner. Create your own criteria and get your customers in on the voting.
- Go big and raise money the entire month to support a local cause. Pizzerias are the most giving industry in a community. Showcase your giving efforts with a big month-long fund raising effort.
Dozens more marketing ideas are in the National Pizza Month Pizzeria
We have equipped you with the tools to have the biggest October ever. Go get your slice of National Pizza Month!