Will the predicted trends translate to pizzerias?
January is a time when the food industry leaders make their forecasts on what will be hot in restaurants in 2020.
Let’s breakdown a few 2020 restaurant trends.
The National Restaurant Association has unveiled its annual top culinary trends in its “What’s Hot 2020 Culinary Forecast.”
Here’s a look at the leading five trends in the report’s “Top 10 Overall” and what we’re seeing in the pizzeria industry:
- Eco-friendly packaging. Many pizzeria operators are eager to find cost-effective options for eco-friendly packaging with an emphasis on embracing single-use disposable alternatives. Explore more on selecting and sourcing disposable alternatives and costing.
- Plant-based proteins. More and more pizzeria are beginning to offer meatless alternatives and plant-based menus. With the rise of the Impossible Burger in the fast-food market, this area will grow significantly in the coming years. Get a quick primer on adding plant-based pizzas on your menu.
- Delivery-friendly menu items. Pizza is the original delivery food. The area pizzerias are currently focusing is in-house delivery or third-party delivery or both. Get insights on both delivery models.
- Healthy bowls. Fast-casual pizza concepts are at the forefront in the pizzeria industry to offer healthy bowls that include vegetables, fruits, grains and proteins. Many pizzerias with strong lunch business have also added these types of healthy options. Try having a healthy option like the Super Kale Salad.
- Scratch made. This has long been an area of differentiation for independent pizzerias. While some offer dough made in house, others operate a 100-percent made-from-scratch kitchen. Pizza Today’s online recipe collection is filled with thousands of menu ideas for pizzerias to make in house. Browse Pizza Today Recipes.
Other food and beverage trends in the report predicted to be hot this year include:
We love mushrooms. Here are three mushroom menu ideas to try in your kitchen.
New chili peppers
We’ve seen a rise in pizzas and apps with interesting chili pepper. Take a look at these recipes.
Revamped classic cocktails
Millennials are bringing cocktails back into fashion. See how pizzerias can get crafty with their beverage programs.
There are several other trends that “What’s Hot” has forecasted. Go to NRA’s “What’s Hot 2020 Culinary Forecast” and see what’s hot from its report in your pizzeria.